Spiced Beyond Meat Arugula Caesar Salad
I love a good kitchen sink salad and this one is great. It’s not a classic Caesar salad but it’s very delicious and hearty. I used a number of recipes that I love to put this together. Inspired by the Zesty Caesar at Bar Bombon in Philadelphia. The meat recipe is a slightly altered version of one I have used frequently and is based on a vegan meatball recipe by the New York Times. And the Caesar dressing is an absolutely epic recipe from Minimalist Baker and you can find it here: https://minimalistbaker.com/5-minute-vegan-caesar-dressing/.
Spiced Beyond Meat Arugula Caesar Salad Served with a Side of Buttery Brussels Sprouts
This salad is inspired by the Zesty Caesar salad at Bar Bombon and is incredibly hearty and filling. The vegetables can be a bit of a kitchen sink situation, whatever veggies you have lying around and in the fridge, and the meat dish is a slightly altered version of one I have used frequently in my Italian inspired pasta dishes based on a vegan meatball recipe by the New York Times. The Caesar dressing is an absolutely epic recipe from Minimalist Baker and you can find it here: https://minimalistbaker.com/5-minute-vegan-caesar-dressing/.
- 1 package arugula (or any sturdy leafy green like romaine or kale)
- 2 large carrots
- ¼ cup yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cucumber
Seasoned Beyond Meat (A slightly altered version of an NYT meatball recipe, see link.)
- ⅓ cup minced onion
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley leaves and tender stems
- 6 cloves garlic (grated or minced)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound plant-based vegan ground beef (such as Beyond Meat)
- oil (for cooking)
- Please visit Minimalist Baker for recipe (find link below)
- 12 oz brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp melted butter (such as Miyoko's or Earth Balance)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients for the meatballs: onion, parsley, garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, red-pepper flakes if using and mix well. Add plant-based beef, and blend with your hands until well mixed. If making well ahead of time, seal the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil over a large nonstick pan and turn to medium heat. Add meat to the pan and cook, while constantly stirring, until golden brown.
- Chop the carrots, onion, celery and cucumber into chunky pieces.
- Create the dressing (recipe can be found here: https://minimalistbaker.com/5-minute-vegan-caesar-dressing/ and mix in generously with the chopped vegetables and arugula.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a microwave safe bowl and water. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain water from the bowl and mix Brussels with butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour the cooled beyond meat over the salad and stir all of the ingredients together.
(Calories are per serving.) Serve salad with a side of Brussels sprouts and your choice of toasted bread and vegan butter!